More fabric has been converted to wearable clothing this week. This is also one of those instances of actually saving money by sewing my own clothes.
Have you priced yoga clothes lately? Holy asana, that stuff is expensive for so little fabric. A little tank like the one I made can cost upwards of $50-$60! For less than a yard of fabric, some elastic, thread and time. (Ok, I’m not going to count the cost of my machines but still you get the idea.) I made this top using Kwik Sew 3672 and the left over fabric from the swimsuit I made last spring. So I can almost consider the fabric free right?
I really like the back of the top. It looks almost like a halter from the front but the straps make it wear more like a racer-back. I wore it yesterday morning when I did yoga and it was very comfortable. It allows for freedom of movement and the straps stay securely in place. The only change I will make in future tops will be to try adding some V-inserts in the bottom of the side seams. I lengthened this 2” in order to cover my tummy issues but now it rolls up over my hips. I think if I add V-inserts that will give it enough room to stay in place. I may also try adding soft cups to the shelf bra for more coverage and support. I have enough of this fabric left still that I can make a pair of swim briefs to wear with this top as a tankini too. Talk about getting my money’s worth!
The pants are the second time I’ve used Kwik Sew 3115. It is a really simple and fast to whip together pattern for basic yoga pants. I didn’t follow the pattern directions for sewing elastic inside the waistband. None of the RTW yoga pants I own have this and they stay up just fine. I used a really soft, lightweight knit that I’ve had in the stash for a long time. It is a weird yellowy green color that really does nothing for my complexion. I kept thinking I’d make a T-shirt out of it but knew I had nothing to match it and it would most likely go unworn. After I made the purple top I realized that it looked good with this green and the color wouldn’t be a problem if worn below the waist and away from my face.
To make the two pieces go together even better I decided to add a little bit of the purple to the pants in a narrow trim inserted along the waist band. I just cut a piece of the lycra/spandex the length of the waist band and 1” wide, folded it in half and put it in the seam.
I also made this top this week using up some random stash fabric and Kwik Sew 3826. It’s a comfortable shirt and it went together pretty well. I have a few issues with it. I’m not really happy with the way the “scarf/collar” lays around the neck. It seems a little loose or something. The sleeves are just a bit shorter than I like them. I usually add length in the sleeves of all KS patterns because I have Monkey Arms but I forgot this time.
I constructed the entire top on my Bernina 780 using the Dual Feed. I was very happy with the way the machine handled this soft knit. No puckering and the fabric fed evenly. I used the Super Stretch Stitch (looks like a lightning bolt) and a ballpoint needle. I also used the overcast stitch and the #2A foot to finish the edges of some of the seams. I did set up the coverstitch machine for the hems but otherwise the serger wasn’t used in this garment.
Overall I’d say this was a pretty productive sewing week for me. 3 pieces of stash fabric converted to items of clothing that I will actually wear. Next up is some tencel knit that I bought at work to make into basic turtlenecks to wear on my winter morning walks.